Center for Water and the Environment
CWE carries out advanced research, education, design and planning in water resources and environmental management in Texas, across the United States, and internationally.
- We are the central focus for environment and water research at The University of Texas.
- We work with other institutions in Texas and around the world to address complex environmental issues.
- We share results of advanced research with government, industry and other educational institutions.
- We educate students, involve them in applied research, and provide support to lead the advancement of water resources and environmental management.
First Annual Professor Desmond Lawler Lecture
On October 6, 2022, Dr. David Reckhow of the University of Massachusetts presented, “New Challenges Posed by Toxic Organic Compounds in Drinking Water,” the first in an annual series of lectures enabled by the Lawler Excellence Fund, which seeks to maintain the synergy of high-quality academic work and strong community culture by bringing together students, faculty and alumni. Click to watch the video below, or open the lecture on YouTube.
Next EWRE Seminars
Thursday, March 23rd, 2023, 3:30-4:30pm, ECJ 1.214
Removal and inactivation of virus surrogates by coagulation
Dr. Shankar Chellam
See the flyer from the most recent seminar on March 23rd or view the seminar schedule.
EWRE Service Center
Got samples but nowhere to analyze them? The Environmental and Water Resources Engineering Analytical Service Center provides a unique analytical facility for determining concentrations of environmental contaminants in soil, air and water samples.
Meet CWE Researchers
The CWE research team is comprised of esteemed University of Texas professors, research scientists, engineers, and others who are leaders in their respective fields. Collectively they are are conducting innovative and diverse research projects to better the environment and positively impact our world. Meet the Researchers
Explore Our Research Projects
CWE is actively conducting research on more than 35 projects in the areas of:
- Climate Adaptation and Management
- Education and Outreach
- Environmental Technology and Resource Recovery
- Pollutant Exposure Impacts and Remediation
- Water and Environmental Management